Sunday, 20 January 2013

The Golden Ducks

Sundays with Chef Peter….

I’m having just a ducky Sunday!

Did you see the Golden Globes, I just love to watch them and can’t wait for the Oscars, full of pomp and ceremony making me wish I had tried harder at drama at school than home economics daahlings…. Oh to be so famous, fame…or was it because of the money!!

And the Boeing Dreamliners are not such a dream it would seem, do hope you didn’t get stranded anywhere because of the groundings but at least the good people are keeping us all safe.

And of course Lance Armstrong……………….

Anyways, I arranged to settle down and enjoy the Golden Globes this week with some friends for the repeat in the evening, a couple of drinks and a bite to eat. I wanted a dish that would be easy to put together, tasty as we toasted our favourites to wins but not the usual fried snacks, crisp peanuts etc.

I happened to be having this conversation last week about easy dishes to put together with my friend Tracey and it was her who suggested this one that I thought would be great to try, Crispy Duck in Five Spices with Noodles, perfect for the occasion.

For four persons you need the following:

3-4 large duck breast (If you don’t fancy duck, chicken is as good)
1 packet of Chinese 5 spices
4 packets of duck flavoured instant noodles
Sesame oil
Roasted sesame seeds
Soy sauce
Honey
Cucumber (Sliced thinly, I used a potato peeler and make lovely long thin slices)
Spring onions (Cleaned and trimmed and put into iced water)
Cherry tomatoes
Pickled ginger

To make the dish:

Preheat your oven to 180 ̊c.
Give the duck breast and clean and dry them on kitchen paper.
Score the fat on the duck breast with a crisscross and toss in a bag with the 5 spices till well coated (this can be done in advance and stored in an airtight container till needed)
Put equal quantities of soy sauce and honey (you don’t need too much) into a sauce pan and bring to the boil. Boil for 1 minute and put aside for later.
Put a frying pan on a high heat and let it become nice and hot and then place the breast fat side down. The fat will then come from the duck and cook them until they are a nice golden colour and then turn them over and repeat on the other side.
Place the breast into a roasting dish and put in the oven for 10 minutes till the duck is medium or as you like it.
While the duck is in the oven prepare the noodles in the hot water but don’t add the flavouring or Chili.
When the noodles are cooked, drain off the water and mix in the noodle flavouring (I leave out the chili) and add a dessert spoon of sesame oil. Mix well.
Remove the duck from the oven and slice the breast on a chopping board.
Arrange the noodles on a serving plate and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.

Arrange the duck slices on top of the noodles and garnish with your cucumber, spring onions, tomatoes and pickled ginger.
Bring the soy and honey sauce to the boil again and glaze the duck all over with it.
Then give your guest a bowl and a pair of chop sticks (as it just tastes better eating with chop sticks) and let them enjoy!

Oh no daahlings, I didn’t want him to win the Gloden Globe but never mind my noodles are a winner, where’s my trophy?!

Happy Sunday… happy cooking!

Chef Peter

7 comments:

  1. I will take the duck anytime than the globes, golden or not. Ducky yummy yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You cooked that? Ooooo...that looks soooo good!!! I love duck! But my missus doesn't touch it - so I do not get to eat very often. Poor me, so deprived... Sobssss!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ducky is one of my favorite
    Mayb next time I ask my wife try this recipe
    Nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look very nice, I like eating duck. I assume the portion is for a few people.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy! I am a big fan of juicy seared duck breast....

    ReplyDelete

Share it